VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach seeks an experienced professional to develop VillageReach’s advocacy and communications function in support of work in Malawi and across the VillageReach portfolio. This position will collaborate with partners, donors, and VillageReach staff at country, regional and global levels. It will report to the Director of Advocacy and Communications with a dotted line to the Malawi National Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
Approximately 50 percent of the work will focus on Malawi including:
- Strengthen VillageReach’s capacity to convene and engage with policymakers, partners, donors, advisory groups, and other stakeholders in Malawi through the development of a country-based stakeholder assessment and related advocacy and communications strategy.
- Work with staff, partners and Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) to develop and promote a case study on the success factors for collaboration across sectors for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health including the management of multi-stakeholder dialogue and stakeholder interviews.
- Develop materials and promotion plans to support existing and future programmatic efforts in Malawi, in conjunction with appropriate VillageReach staff. This includes the following:
- Visual and written storytelling about VillageReach work across its programs including USAID’S ONSE Health Activity, CCPF, Pharmacy Assistant Training Program, UAV delivery of blood and oxytocin, and more.
- Work with the OpenLMIS team and partners to identify opportunities to highlight the benefits of Malawi’s implementation of OpenLMIS.
- Develop social media presence and connect it to broader VillageReach social media strategy.
- Identification, hiring and management of consultants and vendors as needed.
Approximately 50 percent of the work will focus on regional or global efforts including:
- Support VillageReach in its efforts to become a recognized thought leader in helping countries, organizations, and donors evaluate integrating UAVs for payload delivery into the health system. This includes supporting partner coordination and adoption of common evaluation frameworks to contribute to a shared evidence base.
- Serve as a strategic advocacy and communications advisor to programs in countries where VillageReach does not currently have a country office.
- Promote VillageReach’s evidence and experience globally, regionally and in key countries to support plans and policies that lead to improved access to health at the last mile.
- Help develop and promote whitepapers, strategy documents, policy papers and related materials that effectively communicate impact and results related to programmatic work.
- Represent VillageReach at national and regional venues and initiatives, meetings, and conferences that are aligned with VillageReach objectives.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Currently residing and qualified to work in Malawi
- At least 7 years of experience working in a global health or international development organization in an advocacy or strategic communications role.
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of advocacy and communications efforts to increase awareness of health and development issues.
- Experience working at or with multilateral organizations such as WHO, UNICEF, World Bank and bilateral aid organizations.
- Persuasive written and verbal communication. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization and externally.
- Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze information for decision-making and presentations. Experience writing articles for major journals.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.