Deputy Project Manager
VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.DESCRIPTION
VillageReach is searching for a qualified individual to fill the role of Operations Manager/Deputy Project Manager (DPM) for its digital health program in Cote d’Ivoire. This person will be based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, with frequent domestic travels. This is a regular employee position with a fixed term to end no later than April 30, 2021. The DPM will provide day-to-day support of the field deployment of a digital health solution. They will assist the Program lead with project oversight, coordination and reporting. They will be responsible for developing and updating operational planning and will ensure all project and deployment plans are timely and efficiently executed. The DPM will facilitate transparent and timely communication between all partners through weekly coordination meetings, quarterly meetings, reports, and ad hoc meetings as necessary and ensure the project is properly documented and reported to proper audience.
Gavi, the vaccine alliance, Orange S.A., a global telecommunications leader, and the Ministry of Health of Cote d’Ivoire joined forces to improve immunization coverage in Cote d’Ivoire by leveraging the increasing prevalence of mobile technology. The three partners, supported by their technical partner VillageReach, conceived the M-Vaccin project that aims at developing and deploying a customized mobile application in targeted health districts identified by the Programme Elargi de Vaccination (PEV). The mobile application will send SMS reminders to mothers of personalized vaccines schedules and will allow health workers to monitor immunization activities with the digital registration of patients. The expected impact of this initiative is threefold: 1) improve demand for vaccination via sms reminders; 2) decrease dropout rates; 3) improve data access, quality and management.
Since project inception in July 2016, VillageReach is serving in a management capacity on this project and is providing overall supervision to ensure adherence to partnership agreements and project plans and technical support in planning for and deployment of M-Vaccin.
The DPM will provide day-to-day support of the field deployment of the M-Vaccin solution.He/she will assist the program lead on a day-to-day basis. He/she will support client-facing project managers, business, and technical analysts by contributing in maintaining oversight of the overall project resources, schedule, key milestones, and deliverables. He/she will also support the Project Manager in Monitoring & Evaluation and Financial Management. The candidate will work directly with technical partners, final users, and the EPI team at the central, district and health facility levels with specific leadership for the field deployment of M-Vaccin. He/she will be responsible for the following:
Project Management (60%)
- Lead District-level deployment by working closely with regional authorities and districts to meet project objectives. Work with Project Manager to identify and resolve issues with an impact on Project Schedule, Budget and Quality.
- Work closely with team members, project partners, EPI partners, national and regional authorities, and districts health workers to meet project objectives. Update priorities and needs as necessary throughout the project life cycle.
- Work closely with the Orange team to ensure a close integration of all activities in deployment work plans affecting regions and districts.
- Monitor project implementation and refine project strategies and plans.
- Organize weekly coordination meetings for the project team
Partnership Management (5%)
- Build a strong relationship with Orange by working with Orange’s deployment teams, in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Under the supervision of VillageReach Private sector engagement lead, document best practices in private public partnership management
- Contribute to establish a culture of trust for VillageReach - build on excellence, collaboration and information sharing among partners as well as strong governance and accountability to the project.
- Represent VillageReach in partner meetings, technical working groups, committees, government forums, and conferences.
- Work closely with users in the field to establish a troubleshooting mechanism and change management strategies for the effective use of the application
- Work with the Project Manager and with Orange to ensure that appropriate training materials are developed and that user training is conducted
- Support the Project Manager in developing appropriate deployment strategies based on learnings from initial deployments
- Provide technical support to the EPI for the equipment (tablet) acceptance/“recette”, management and replacement
- Contribute to the development of technical documents such as operational deployment plans and the mVaccin Solution Toolkit.
Monitoring and Evaluation and Financial Management (10%)
- Provide oversight for monitoring of project results by tracking and communicating key performance indicators, conducting periodic data quality analyses, ensuring timely and accurate reporting of results, and making recommendations based on the findings.
- Organize the evaluation of project implementation according to the M&E plan
- Ensure the operationalization of the M&E plan
- Coordinate the organization and implementation of preliminary and impact evaluations
- Support Project Manager in preparing annual and period budgets
The principal accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed by the Program Lead.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in Health System Strengthening Initiatives: Experience working with Cote d’Ivoire ’s health system and working with a variety of stakeholders, including ministries of health and health facility staff, in the areas of program design, implementation or management. Must have strong understanding of the service delivery level and working in rural environments.
- Experience in Project/Program management: Familiar with program and project management principles and strategies.
- Coalition-Building. Experience in working with government, donors, NGO and development agency in Africa to influence change.
- Resource management: The candidate will assist the program lead to ensure appropriate resources (human, finance, material) are allocated for project execution. He will report on any constraints and risks associated with project.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Strong communication and cross-cultural management. Persuasive written and verbal communication. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within the team and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with both the private and public sectors and academics on the project and externally.
- Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making, presentations and reports. The DPM will contribute to the development of project deliverables and documentation, including the solution toolkit, competency transfer plan, deployment tools, reports and others.
- Problem solving, creative thinking, and analytical skills. Ability to anticipate and make smart and consensual decisions under pressure. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
- Commitment to the mission. Passion for the mission, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to public health systems.
- Personal qualities. Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, proactivity, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- A Master’s degree or higher in project management, public policy, resource management, public administration, public health, or related field;
- 5+ years of experience working in development or private organization, with familiarity of donor reporting mechanisms (Gavi, USAID, Gates etc..) and with a focus on health systems strengthening programs
- Ivorian national, lawful resident or possessing a legal work permit.
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office 2016 or 2013 (with focus on Excel, Word and Powerpoint). A test will be conducted to assess.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in French and English.
- Solid programmatic, financial, and organizational planning skill is highly desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in an inter-agency and geographically dispersed team.
- Ability to be self-directed, prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no offices in Côte d’Ivoire. All aspects of employee's work will be directed through VillageReach, but the official employee/employer relationship will be via a Professional Employing Organization to comply with local employment requirements.APPLICATION INFORMATION:
The position is a fixed term contract to end no later than April 30, 2021. This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter through this portal and respond to the application questions.
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.