Solutions Architect, Information Systems
VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
The Solutions Architect will be a member of the Information Systems Group but will work in close partnership with the Private Sector Engagement and Heath Systems groups, supporting all ICT-assisted programming. The candidate will be responsible for developing a strategy for technology-assisted program quality; recruiting, training and eventually managing ISG personnel; managing key technology and telecommunications partnerships; harmonizing the various ISG initiatives; and providing real-time reporting. Preference for candidates in Mozambique, Malawi, DRC, or Cote D'Ivoire preferred; otherwise flexible. Travel percentage will be up to 50%.
One of our current technology initiatives supporting this mission is OpenLMIS, a powerful, enterprise-class, open source electronic logistics management information system (LMIS) purpose-built to manage health commodity supply chains.
As a small and growing team, we are looking for someone who can wear multiple hats – manage projects, author requirements, and define technical solutions. Candidates with a degree in Computer Science, or software development experience, required. Experience with open-source projects, international development, agile development, health information systems, or systems integration a plus. French language preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees.
- Interpersonal Skills: Conduct oneself with sensitivity, awareness and respect when working with diverse groups of people, including VillageReach staff, beneficiaries, donors and partners.
- Dependability: Act at all times as a reliable and effective team player, volunteering to help without being asked.
- Initiative and Results: Proactively enhance the quality of programs, outputs, workplace environment and relationships.
- Representation: Represent VillageReach and its programs by demonstrating a personal commitment to the mission and values of VillageReach and a sound knowledge of the organization, its principles and its programs
- Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship: Demonstrate leadership by being a positive example to others, a positive force programmatically and organizationally; foster a culture of innovation.
- Commitment to Learning and Growth: Demonstrate commitment to develop, acquire, document and apply best practices in related fields, and apply solutions to obstacles to organizational effectiveness.
- Consistency: Demonstrate consistent and productive attendance and work record.
- Compliance: Follow VillageReach policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent, and at least 10 years of hands-on experience designing, delivering and supporting mobile, enterprise &/or global applications
- Masters in Business Administration or International Relations, or equivalent experience, preferred
- Extremely strong Computer Science fundamentals and analytical abilities; deep knowledge of object-oriented programming languages such as Java, C# or C++ and architectures, such as microservices, SOA and distributed systems.
- Demonstrated experience with business intelligence tools like Tableau, Qlikview or Pentaho
- Experience with GIS and Python
- Vendor analysis and management expertise; keen sense of outsourcing/partnership best practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate productively with colleagues on all levels in a distributed, multicultural, detail-oriented environment (without losing a sense of humor)
- Demonstrated understanding of the latest technology trends; ability to quickly establish credibility with skilled developers and to adopt new skills with ease
- In-depth experience with Agile software development values and practices, especially Scrum
- Understanding of network, server and WAN architecture
- Excellent project management and business analysis skills
- Experience working internationally in low-income countries with a variety of stakeholders, including local government ministries, funding agencies, and other NGOs;
- Ability to communicate effectively based on the technical level of the target audience
- Proven communications and writing skills – this position involves significant time devoted to developing proposals and writing reports that will be accessible to a culturally diverse readership
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Professional written and spoken English
- Professional written and spoken in French preferred
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.APPLICATION INFORMATION:
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until November 1, 2017. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter.COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.