M-Vaccin Project Manager
VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach is searching for a qualified individual to fill the position of Project Manager (PM) for the M-Vaccin project in Cote d’Ivoire. The position will be based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, with frequent domestic travel. This position is for an initial period of 12 months with a possibility of extension dependent on funding and a good mutual fit. The PM will provide managerial, technical, and policy oversight and/or advice to ensure successful and timely completion of project activities. Their main responsibilities include overall project management, technical leadership and partnership building and management, monitoring and evaluation. The project manager will coordinate a small team in the Country, will represent VillageReach in key partners meetings and work closely with VillageReach Seattle Office and donors to assess the policy, institutional, and other barriers to an effective implementation and effectiveness of digital solutions, and identify and advocate for innovations, best practices, reforms, and training to remedy problems found.
Gavi, the vaccine alliance, Orange S.A., a global telecommunications leader, and the Ministry of Health of Côte d’Ivoire joined forces to improve immunization coverage in Côte d’Ivoire by leveraging the increasing adoption of mobile technology. The three partners, supported by their technical partner VillageReach, conceived the M-Vaccin project that aims at developing and deploying a customized mobile application in targeted health districts identified by the Programme Elargi de Vaccination (PEV). The mobile application will send SMS reminders to mothers of personalized vaccines schedules and will allow health workers to monitor immunization activities with the digital registration of patients. The expected impact of this initiative is threefold: 1) improve demand for vaccination via SMS reminders; 2) decrease dropout rates; and 3) improve data access, quality and management.
Since project start in July 2016, VillageReach is serving in a management capacity on this project and is providing overall supervision to ensure adherence to partnership agreements and project plans as well as providing technical support in planning for and deployment of M-Vaccin.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned.
The Project Manager will provide day-to-day assistance to EPI, Orange project managers, business and technical analysts by maintaining oversight of the overall project resources, schedule, key milestones, and deliverables. The individual will work directly with technical partners, final users, the EPI team to provide recommendations to the project team on project issues, risks and direction. They will be responsible for the following:
Project Management (30%)
- Provide leadership and oversight to activities supporting the enabling environment including strengthening governance systems, establishing operational processes, and defining policy recommendation and operationalizing action and deployment plans.
- Work closely with team members, project partners, EPI partners, national and regional authorities, districts health workers to meet project objectives. Update priorities and needs necessary throughout project life
- Develop project management mechanisms, processes and tools and ensure an efficient tracking and reporting of activities in a timely manner. This include producing actions plans, dashboards, project updates status, periodic reports, communication plans etc...
- Manage budget development, compliance and financial reporting with MOH, Unicef, Gavi and VillageReach
- Provide supervision to in country teams and project partners as per the project charter and various project documents.
Partnership management (15%)
- Build strong relationships between VillageReach, government and partners, private and public sectors, academics, relevant national authorities and agencies, as well as with other NGO partners in Côte d’Ivoire
- Contribute to establish a culture of trust for VillageReach built on excellence, collaboration and information sharing among partners as well as strong governance and accountability to the project.
- Represent VillageReach in partner meetings, technical working groups, committees, government forums, and conferences as relevant;
- Under the supervision of VillageReach Private sector engagement lead, document best practices in private public partnership management
Technical leadership (25%)
- Manage M-Vaccin support to governance and capacity building activities related to data use and quality and digital solutions design and deployment
- Provide guidance to the team for the development of technical documents such as a Monitoring and Evaluation plan, operational deployment plans and a the solution toolkit
- Ensure that VillageReach staff based in Seattle and other offices, including experts in Monitoring & Evaluation and Immunization, are effectively deployed and make relevant contributions for the success of the M-Vaccin project
- Liaise with Orange to oversee application testing, development and handover to government. Ensure the compliance with functional and technical requirements of the application as per EPI requests
- Establish a troubleshooting mechanism and change management strategies for the effective use of the application
- Work with Orange to ensure that appropriate training materials are developed and that user training is conducted
- Provide technical support to the EPI for the equipment (tablet) reception, management and replacement
- Support the EPI with app testing
Monitoring and Evaluation (20%)
- Provide oversight for monitoring of the project results by tracking and communicating key performance indicators, conducting periodic data quality analyses, ensuring timely and accurate reporting of results, and making recommendations based on the findings.
- Provide MOH, Gavi and programs lead at VR monthly updates on deployment status
- Provide strategic guidance to relevant implementing partners to ensure their programs are aligned/coordinated with GAVI, UNICEF, VillageReach policies, objectives, and strategic priorities
- Monitor project implementation according to consensually agreed upon and refine project strategies and plans accordingly
- Produce timely reports and deliverables submission
- Organize the evaluation of project implementation according to M&E plan
- Ensure the operationalization of the M&E plan
Financial management (10%)
- Responsible for finance and budget oversight, monitor budgets.
- Work with Unicef and EPI to ensure funds are timely disbursed and report about expenses
- Work with finance team within VR to ensure budget compliance with Gavi
- Prepare annual and periodic budgets
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will manage up to 3 team members depending on final project structure.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Experience in digital solutions deployment, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in the context of public health
- Experience in Health System Strengthening Initiatives: Experience working with Côte d’Ivoire ’s health system and working with a variety of stakeholders, including ministries of health and health facility staff, in the areas of program design, implementation or management. Must have strong understanding of the service delivery level and working in rural environments.
- Experience in Project/Program management: Familiar with program and project management principles and strategies. A project management certificate would be a plus
- Capacity-Building: Familiar with capacity building, trainings techniques
- Coalition-Building. Experience in working with government, donors, NGO and development agency in Africa to influence change. Ideally, the candidate will be familiar with competency transfer strategies to government
- Resource management: The candidate will assist the program lead to ensure appropriate resources (human, finance, material) are allocated for project execution. They will report on any constraint and risk associated and will propose remedies.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Strong communication and cross-cultural management. Persuasive written and verbal communication. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within the team and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with both the private and public sectors and academics on the project and externally.
- Writing and analytical skills. Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze all necessary information for decision-making, presentations and reports. The Project Manager will contribute to the development of project deliverables and documentation, including the solution toolkit, competency transfer plan, deployment tools, reports and others.
- Problem solving, creative thinking, and analytical skills. Ability to anticipate and make smart and consensual decisions under pressure. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
- Commitment to the mission. Passion for the mission, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to public health systems.
- Personal qualities. Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, proactivity, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
- A Master’s degree or higher in project management, information systems, public policy, development studies resource management, public administration, public health, or related field. A bachelor with commensurate experience will be accepted
- 5+ years of experience working in public sector development, with familiarity of donor reporting mechanisms (Gavi, USAID, Gates Foundation) and with a focus on health systems strengthening programs
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office 2016 or 2013 (with focus on Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and MS project A test may be conducted to assess the candidate command
- Prior experience with implementing partners and or donor engagement in CI
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus
- Ivorian national, lawful resident or possessing a legal work permit
- Excellent written and verbal communication in French and English
- Solid programmatic, financial, and organizational planning skill is highly desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially in an inter-agency and geographically dispersed team
- Ability to be self-directed, prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure;
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (including to the United States)
Environment and Physical Demands
This is a remote position. Candidate will be expected to set up a home office. You must also have the ability to work early mornings/late evenings due to scheduling with global staff.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until December 31, 2018. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.