Laboratory Sample Transport Manager
VillageReach works with governments to solve health care delivery challenges in low-resource communities. Our programs focus on increasing access to quality health care at the last mile, or the point at which services are delivered. We develop and implement new ideas and approaches to ensure vaccines and medicines are available, increase the capacity of health workers and ensure they have access to data to improve health. Our work improves the lives of more than 20 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Program Manager, Drones for Health. The position is based in Maputo, Mozambique and reports to the Country Director. The Program Manager will oversee all aspects of VillageReach Mozambique’s unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) program, an innovative approach to transporting laboratory samples. The successful candidate will be an individual with demonstrated experience in applying new technologies to solve public health problems, collaborating with government and private sector partners, and paired with strong project management and communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Lead overall planning, implementation, monitoring, and management of the performance of the projects.
- Lead technical implementation of innovative transportation solutions using UAVs, including managing partners and sub-contractors, designing solutions, and ensuring high-quality implementation.
- Ensure project objectives are met, with a focus on driving evidence-based decision making throughout program implementation.
- Manage relationships with Ministry officials, Civil Aviation Authority, and Provincial and local government authorities.
- Manage ongoing monitoring and evaluation activities, including both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Support all aspects of in-country research study efforts focused on the use of drones to transport laboratory samples.
- Provide ongoing communication with donors and project partners, in English, and routine communication within country in Portuguese.
- Work with communications team in preparing monthly blog postings.
- Work with community-level organizations to support program implementation in the field.
- Primary liaison with technology providers, including UAV manufacturers.
- Represent projects through development of PowerPoint presentations or other collateral for oral presentations, as needed, with strong attention to formatting, consistency, and graphic layout.
- Travel up to 15%.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position directly supervises up to 2 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
- A Master’s degree in public health or related degree with at least seven (7) years of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated experience in the field of UAVs;
- Proficiency in quantitative data analysis and visualization;
- At least 5 years project management experience;
- At least 2 years experience working with technology-based public health programs;
- Demonstrated experience liaising at a senior level, participating or advising in high level meetings and discussions with MISAU;
- Demonstrated ability in monitoring similar programs, interpreting and utilizing national and provincial level data;
- Experience with oral and written messaging to a variety of audiences;
- Experience working in collaboration with private sector partners in the area of laboratory, transport, technology, and data;
- Demonstrated capacity to support, mentor and supervise staff;
- A track record of measurable success, managing high-paced and challenging programs;
- Demonstrated strong leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English; strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to live and work in Mozambique without employer sponsorship.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of time.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel).
- Comfort working in a virtual team environment.
- Some experience with laboratory systems preferred.
- Self-starter that can work independently to advance project objectives efficiently.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve, and work under pressure.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.APPLICATION INFORMATION:
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until June.21, 2019. To apply, please complete the application form here by submitting your resume (in English), a cover letter and responding to the application questions.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.