Independent Consultant - Communications
VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the last mile of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, Wash. with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
VillageReach seeks an experienced consultant to support its advocacy and communications in Malawi as an independent contractor for approximately a 6-month period, beginning April 2018. Primary deliverables are a case study on the success factors for collaboration across sectors for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health and a related multi-stakeholder dialogue. This work will be done in collaboration with the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH). The case study will be peer-reviewed and shared at a Partner’s Forum in Delhi in December 2018.
- Documentation of the evolution of the Chipatala Cha Pa Foni (Health Center by Phone), a health and nutrition hotline, and the collaboration across NGO, government, private sector and community partners. Activities include:
- Review existing documents and materials;
- Review literature of other programs that have successfully transitioned from NGO to government;
- Interview VillageReach staff, partners and government MOH representatives; and
- Use VillageReach sustainability / transition framework to document key findings.
- Manage a multi-stakeholder dialogue in collaboration with VillageReach and PMNCH to include:
- Developing invitation list;
- Setting agenda;
- Developing materials;
- Meeting facilitation;
- Drafting a report from the dialog.
- Coordinate with VillageReach and PMNCH international consultant to finalize and promote written case study.
- Other deliverables related to development of policy papers, case studies and/or success stories based on VillageReach work in Malawi, depending on consultant experience and available time.
- Currently residing and qualified to work in Malawi
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a global health or international development organization in an advocacy or strategic communications role.
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of advocacy and communications efforts to increase awareness of health and development issues.
- Experience working at or with multilateral organizations such as WHO, UNICEF, World Bank and bilateral aid organizations.
- Persuasive written and verbal communication. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization and externally.
- Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill and analyze information for decision-making and presentations. Experience writing articles for major journals.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.